Sydney, Australia: The Biennale of Sydney has invited residents of New South Wales to an advance full-day preview of its 21st edition offering a first look at the work of 70 artists and artist collectives from around the world across six Biennale venues on Wednesday, 14 March 2018, before the exhibition officially opens on 16 March.
Residents who register to attend the free Sydney Preview event will be among the first to experience SUPERPOSITION: Equilibrium & Engagement curated by Artistic Director Mami Kataoka. They will have the opportunity to engage with visiting international and Australian artists through a free program of artist talks during extended hours at the following Biennale venues: Art Gallery of New South Wales, Artspace, Carriageworks, Cockatoo Island, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia and 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art.
A number of 21st Biennale of Sydney exhibiting artists will present free talks and performative readings about their work at Sydney Preview:
- 00-11.00 am Carriageworks – Artist Talks: Marco Fusinato (AUS), Semiconductor (UK), Michael Stevenson (NZ)
- 00 am AGNSW – Riet Wijnen, performative reading (Netherlands)
- 30-2.30 pm AGNSW – Artist Talks: Eija-Liisa Ahtila (Finland), Marlene Gilson (AUS)
- 00-4.00 pm Cockatoo Island – Artist Talks: Suzanne Lacy (USA), Kate Newby (NZ), Yasmin Smith (AUS)
- 30-6.30 pm MCA – Artist Spotlight Talks: Marc Bauer (Switzerland), Jacob Kirkegaard (Denmark), Yarrenyty Arltere Artists (AUS)
- 30-8.00 pm 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art – SNACKCHAT: Participants from Akira Takayama’s Our Songs – Sydney Kabuki Project
Sydney Preview is the first event in a dynamic three-month program being presented as part of the 21st Biennale of Sydney including performances, artist talks, conversations, guided tours, workshops, after-hours events and access programs.
Highlights of the public program include: Rayyane Tabet, Dear Mr Utzon, (Sydney Opera House), Oliver Beer, Composition for Tuning an Architectural Space (Sydney Opera House), Vietnam Exodus: Tiffany Chung in conversation with Mami Kataoka and Alexie Glass Kantor (Artspace), the Nick Waterlow OAM Memorial Lecture: René Block AM, Propos about myself: AM I OR IS AUSTRALIA FAR AWA’ (Art Gallery of NSW), Artists in Conversation: Ciara Phillips, Svay Sareth and Haegue Yang (MCA), Francisco Camacho Herrera, Parallel Narratives – Workshop (Art Gallery of NSW), Biennale Archive Stories: A weekend of talks by renowned former Biennale Artistic Directors (Art Gallery of NSW), Art & Artists: Public Galleries Summit, Presented by Carriageworks and Regional and Public Galleries of NSW in association with Museums & Galleries of NSW and the Biennale of Sydney (Carriageworks), Research Symposium, Make it New: Creating contemporary cultural material from collections and archives (Powerhouse Museum) and the MCA ARTBAR.
View the full 21st Biennale of Sydney public program, from 1 March, here: https://events.biennaleofsydne y.art/publicprogram
In 2018, the Biennale celebrates its 45th anniversary, marking 21 exhibitions since 1973 that have showcased thought-provoking Australian and international art. From 16 March – 11 June, 70 artists and artist collectives from 35 countries will present their work at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Artspace, Carriageworks, Cockatoo Island, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Sydney Opera House and 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art.
SYDNEY PREVIEW EVENT DETAILS
- Access to the 21st Biennale of Sydney exhibition on 14 March 2018 is free with registration. NSW residents should register to attend at https://events.biennaleofsydne y.art/sydneypreview
- Please note that capacity for events is limited, registration is essential
- Sydney Preview opening hours on Wednesday 14 March: Art Gallery of New South Wales (10 am–10 pm), Artspace (10 am–9 pm), Carriageworks (10 am–9 pm), Cockatoo Island (10 am–9 pm), Museum of Contemporary Art (10 am–9 pm); 4A Centre for Contemporary Art (11am-9pm).